Question:
Who tears down DC 10 Aircraft?
2006-03-24 09:00:51 UTC
They teart them down in order to sell off the spare parts.
Four answers:
2006-03-25 18:29:46 UTC
They tear themselves down! Don't you watch the news?
SShenold
2006-03-25 11:25:19 UTC
There are several facilities in the United States; I'm sure there are others overseas.

Three that I know of are AAR Aircraft Services in Roswell, NM, Evergreen Air Center in Marana, AZ, and Southern California Aviation in Victorville, CA. There are some that are torn down in ones and twos at various other airports, but these three companies specialize in tearing down large aircraft.

Generally these companies merely provide the teardown service, under contract to the owner of the aircraft, who then sells the parts. To my knowledge, AAR is the only one that sells a lot of parts.
gspshaw
2006-03-24 09:05:08 UTC
DC-10's are still in service. They are refurbished through major aircraft repair stations located across the US. Normally the repair stations buy older commericial aircraft to use the parts for repairs.
j3cubfan2003
2006-03-29 11:37:31 UTC
They also tear them down at the AMARC facility. If an airframe no longer has any useful parts, then a grappling hook is used to dismantle the fuselage, wings and empanage.. Scrap metal is then sorted and trucked off to the smelter.