Question:
Why doesn't Cessna bring back the 150 & 152?
2007-01-31 21:23:45 UTC
The 152 is like the best little trainer in the world"my opinion of course" Even the 150 is a great little plane, so why not cessna lets do it and get them rolling out on production. I think the general public needs an affordable faa certified aircraft. What do you think?
Seven answers:
2007-01-31 21:35:23 UTC
I agree.

As a new pilot who trained in the 152, I think it was a good basic aircraft for the purpose of training. The problem is the newest ones are about 20 years old, so even the good ones are getting tired.

Cessna is going to come out with the new sport pilot rated trainer which looks like a pretty good product, but it's not a full-blown license trainer.

There are other aircraft (like the Diamond Katana or Slingsby Firefly) that are good new-generation training aircraft, but I don't think they have too much more to offer over the good-ol 152.

They might be more fuel-efficient which makes the operating cost better for the school, but when you're just droning along doing circuits, stalls/spins, emergancy procedures and the occasional cross-country I think fuel costs aren't that important.

I'll ask some people the next time I'm at Cessna (I go down to the Wichita plant fairly often), but I bet the answer is that product liability is what killed them in the 1980's and even though the nostalgia of starting up the old line is interesting, it would not be cost-effective to start up again. Their money is better spent making millions on business jets.
txpilot
2007-02-01 07:06:00 UTC
The C-150 is what I learned to fly in. It was a great trainer but there are much better aircraft available now. If Cessna were to produce them again I doubt they would be considered affordable. Just look at their prices for the new 182s and the 206s. By the way,ask the US Air force what they think of the Firefly. They scrapped all of theirs a few years ago after spending 10 million to try and stop the engines from quitting in flight.
dude_port
2007-02-01 03:51:14 UTC
I agree 100% but the slightly bigger cessna are nice. As for affordability how about the old aircoupe or the piper cub or super cub. again to slow for most consumer of today. But a nice little trainer, and are proven consumer friendly as when a piper goes on sale get in line.
eferrell01
2007-02-01 21:09:26 UTC
If Cessna could now sell a 152 new for what the last one cost in 1985, they could sell every one they could make. However, economics dictates what they make and sell and the cost of one with the limited capabilities would be too much. They do have a prototype LSA flying now, and are considering making it. See their website.

http://se.cessna.com/lsa/
cwrrailfan
2007-02-04 02:36:16 UTC
Probably for the same reason Ford does not bring back the Model A. If it's any comfort, I learned to fly in a Lake Buccaneer, Those things just sink when you don't treat them just right.
Charles
2007-02-01 07:07:23 UTC
for the same reason Ford dosent bring back the model T. It has served it's purpose and now must make way for more economical, efficient and easier flying aircraft.
2007-02-01 09:32:34 UTC
What? Those are crummy little spam cans. The Cherokee 140, now THERE was an airplane!!